Sunday 11 August 2013

ARTS, CRAFTS AND THE ARTISANS OF WEST BENGAL, INDIA.

ARTS, CRAFTS AND THE ARTISANS OF WEST BENGAL, INDIA.

I was absent from my Blog since last week, as I was not well. I missed the postings, but I was helpless and could not show enough justice to my otherwise regular blogging. Now that I am fit, I am back again with something close to my heart - my native state of West Bengal and its arts & crafts. The unique and fascinating charm of West Bengal crafts is admired by art lovers irrespective of their worldwide locations. I was easily fascinated by watching the immaculate skill and craftsmanship of the artisans who have been able to put the unique crafts of this small state of West Bengal at the zenith of world arts and handicrafts, in spite of facing extreme poverty in their households.

Starting from the exquisite texture of hand-woven Baluchari, Silk and Tussar textiles from the districts of  Birbhum, Bankura, Nadia, Murshidabad, Hooghly and Barddhaman to the fascinating world of jute, wood, cane and conch shell products, the expertise of the West Bengal artisans are seen to be believed. The hand-crafted earthen wares and dolls of different make to the exquisite Dokra figurines made of brass alloy, from Kantha stitches to Terracota, from Sholapith items to Masks, the rich heritage of West Bengal handicrafts is reflected in whichever part of the state you visit.

Today's posting carries a few of my photographs on the artisans of West Bengal and their handicrafts. Please feel free to send your comments/criticisms by clicking the "Comment/No comment" button, situated at the end of today's posting.

Happy viewing...















1 comment:

  1. asadharon sobkotai!! tobe konta ki seta jante parle aro valo lagto, :)

    ReplyDelete