Friday 7 February 2014

Nonsense... nonsense... sheer nonsense...!

Nonsense... nonsense... sheer nonsense... !

So... we call them nonsense - sheer nonsense! But have you ever wondered why are they called nonsense? Is it because the rhymes, poems or verses highlight some funny ideas? Or is it because we are not keen to show our lacuna or lapses, which the nonsense rhymes, in a funny or sarcastic way speak about? Is being crazy about foods (or any other material) something we want to hide from others?  Is addiction to the social or electronic media eating away too much of our time, or the Internet is our only savior for every question/answer? I really do not know.

I find nonsense rhymes (in Bengali or any other language) quite interesting, provided they carry some "sense" in spite of being termed as "nonsense". I admire all the nonsense rhyme/poem writers - national or international, for their sense of humor and their magical capability in presenting before us a whole new world - full of funny & interesting ideas. In this regard, my Guru, the great Sukumar Ray stands tall in the world of nonsense rhymes. His 'creations' are still relevant despite his untimely demise so many years ago at the age of only 36 (30 Oct 1887 - 10 Sept 1923 AD)!

While presenting some of my nonsense rhymes (with illustrations by myself) through this posting, I wish to say that none of them have been created by me with the intention of hurting anyone's ego or sentiments. And I say it quite emphatically!

Happy viewing...






2 comments:

  1. nonsense kobita-r joy hok; je keu ei kobita likhte pare na; jato nonsense tato tar pichhone creativity beshee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kee bolee?... Sheer nonsense?!! :-) Jokes apart, thank you. :-D

      Delete