Saturday 22 June 2013

WHAT NONSENSE !... NONSENSE RHYMES?

Nonsense rhymes? "What nonsense", you'd say ! Can rhymes be nonsense? Or they carry some sense anyway - some story or some message, a touch of satire, humor or wit may be ! The 'pundits' may clarify. But, haven't we heard the names of Lewis Carol or Edward Lear, the 'great' creators of  tell-tale yet funny rhymes that have become history by now?

And then, what about Sukumar Ray, the legendary Bengali poet and father of the great film maker, Satyajit Ray? Sukumar's witty and satirical poems and awesome cartoons charm & mesmerize both  young and old  even today - more than 125 years after he was born ! His poems are mostly 'nonsense' and apparently carry no 'real' meaning. But, after scrutiny and  review, serious meaning coated with funny (and sometimes unnatural) elements emanates from each of them. And there lies the beauty of Sukumar's creations !

I have always considered Sukumar Ray as my 'guru' and mentor and his poems have ever inspired me to produce a few rhymes (and cartoons) - naughty, funny, silly or sheer nonsense ! I wish to humbly pay my tribute to my 'guru' Sukumar Ray through some of my nonsense rhymes and cartoons in today's posting.





1 comment: