Sunday 19 May 2013

KABULIWALLA.

During these days of scams & money scandals, the good old memories of the Kabuliwallas of Kolkata come crowding my mind. No doubt they were professional money lenders with very high interest rates, but at least they used to follow simple ethics prevalent during the '60s, '70s & '80s. They also used to sell Hing (Asafoetida), Surma (Kajal/eyeliners), Khobani (dry fruits) and Kishmish (raisins) by hawking - often shouting, "Hing chaai, Surma....!"  In the past, renowned film director, Tapan Sinha made a widely acclaimed film, Kabuliwalla, based on a short story by Rabindra Nath Tagore. In my childhood, I used to know a "Kabuli", who was an ardent lover of songs & music, even Rabindra Sangeet. I have heard him singing at least twice in one of their dens near Hazra Mor in South Kolkata. I have no idea about their present status. The following poem is my tribute to good old singer, Kabuliwalla.

1 comment:

  1. sotyi toh!! gayok kabuliwala toh kakhono shuni ni. vabchhi Narayan Gangopadhyay bNeche thakle ki bolten? joddur mone porhe tenida akbar bolechhilo je kabuliwala-r golate gaan shona jaay na, ;) :D

    ReplyDelete